<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d8334277\x26blogName\x3dSriram\x27s+Blog\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://metallicatony.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://metallicatony.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8718433808682107797', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

World Magnetic Tour

Rock and Heavy metal fans always scuffle among themselves trying to prove their favorite band as the best ones. Though its not a comfy task to pick a band/song as the best one, I can filter out a handful of bands that suit my taste and thinking. Among all, Metallica stands atop my list. Its not only because I started with theirs, its also because of their lusty lyrics... They sing more about war, Corruption, Environmental pollution, Death, Suicide, Pain, strippers, prostitutes and Drug addicts and make me think about them...Rarely, do they sing about LOVE. The best thing about their songs is.. they make me feel as depressed as possible.. showing me how useless im.. then they go on to cut the 'cannot-be-done-in-life' misbeliefs within me.. slowly throttling me towards aggression.. making me to gush out my complete inner energy and finally flashing before me the ecstasy of winning in life.. No other band has ever done this to me until now. They truly transcend my awful way of explaining about their music. Thats why they are called as "Metal Gods".

Its been more than 8 years, I have been following them. To correctly say, its since the gigantic kid, KK, introduced the world of metal with the thrashing "Die, Die, Die my darling" song of Metallica. From then on, the thirst to follow Metallica has never ever quenched not only in me but not among my friends too. For long, I even had a blind concept in me that hearing anything other than Metallica is a sin. Believe me!

I read the news that Metallica is coming for a concert tour in support of their new album release "Death Magnetic". I bought the tickets for General Admission floor (which is right before the stage) while LK bought the close gallery one. We waited for the D-Day to arrive with no patience. Then came the Day, the minute and the second..

The mighty metal heads crashed into the stage at no time with a glittering green streak of light focussed all over them. I saw them. I saw my heroes. I saw my masters. I saw James. I saw Kirk. I saw Lars. I saw Robert. Oh my god.. at just a 5 foot distance from me. Oh my god. I can't believe this. I was like.. What to do now? What should i do now.. I couldn't control myself. Jump, headbang, shout, scream.. Very Soon, they started playing the opening song - "That was just your life" from Death Magnetic. 7 minutes of frenzy-ness adorned with the deadly snare drumbeats of Lars Ulrich ended with James shrieking - Almost like your life. That was just your life..

They continued the first song with their biggest hit from Death Magnetic - "The day that never comes". I was feeling quite ok for the first 4 minutes of this song. After which, i slowly started loosing my control. Once the song reached its 5th minute, there came their rough riffs along with a furious bass progression that lasted until the last minute of the song. Huh! I died there.

With all lights in the arena turned off.. and when there was complete darkness, the pyrotechnic pillars blew flame from all corners of the stage suddenly. There were explosive sounds simulating a war field ambience. Thats how they started one of my favorite song - "One". Robert's rough bass rocked the stage. Kirk's rhythmic grooves around the 6th minute of this song drove me crazy. The resonance never came down and finally ended with a high note.

What happened? What the fuck happened suddenly? They ended the show.. They ended the show with just 3 songs. What happened? Oh no.. This can never happen.. I was saying so and I woke up suddenly from my bed. Am i in the concert? Was Metallica playing? Huh! That was my damn dream on the night I bought my ticket for the weekend's concert. HUH! Such was my craziness about Metallica..

Like in my dream and as expected, Metallica rocked the Quad city arena with a number of heavies. They proved why they are still the best heavy metal band. The stylish James Hetfield's vocals was unrivaled. Robert Trujillo was a perfect fit for the rumbling bass space left by Jason Newsted. Kirk Hammett, with his not-like-a-rockstar body-language made everyone WOW at his solo notes that smoothed out of his greenish
Dracula guitar. Lars Ulrich left everyone stunned with his unstoppable steelish drum beats. The best part was when they played "Enter Sandman". Just when it seemed that they have ended the song and have given a big pause before starting the next track, the roaring riff of "Enter Sandman" was repeated again leaving the crowd electrified!! That was unbelievable!!


This was the complete set list played..

That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
Harvester Of Sorrow
For Whom the Bell Tolls
One
Broken, Beat And Scarred
Cyanide
Sad But True
Wherever I May Roam
The Four Horsemen
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
Seek and Destroy

During the end of the show, Kirk and Robert threw guitar picks towards the crowd. I was lucky to grab one of their picks. Here on the RHS is the snap of the cover of a local magazine and the guitar pick that i grabbed. I never thought in life that, One day, I would be able to go for Metallica's Concert and I would return back with one of their guitar picks. Totally, it was dream-come-true experience for me. After coming outside the arena, LK told me - "This was the one biggest event, I was craving to watch. I have done that today. After this, I don't wish anything else to experience here in United States.."

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Karthik said...

U smoked weed thinking it was cig..Kiddo. Am happy that u guys had a rocking time..wish they tour India someday..aahh the day that never comes

4:24 AM  
Blogger Sabarish Chandrasekharan said...

motherfucker you doped??
wtf man....anyway preserve the plucker..will be the best momento of your life..i'm feeling sorry..i missed it..but nevermind..will wait for the unforgiven-III series

8:33 AM  
Blogger Sriram K said...

@Karthik: With increasing base of Indians following Metallica, I'm sure they will tour India one day..

@Sabarish: They are coming to Chicago by this January on a Monday. If you are planning to come here, I would accompany you for sure.

4:20 PM  
Blogger mkprabhu said...

yeah.. i too wish they tour india oneday..

and dont miss projekt revolution!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Sriram K said...

I went to Projekt Revolution last year. Was good. Chesters screams were at its best!

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home